Friday 8 September 2017

‘Yerma’ – National Theatre Live Screen on the Green – Thursday 31st August2017


(Rated 7/5 ) 
Have to do a quick review of this as don’t want it to disappear out of my heart, mind and memory before I record my experiences of it for posterity.
Sadly I was in a fair amount of pain and discomfort as I watched and wasn’t able to fully engage or experience it – massive shame for such an exceptional performance!
Original poem by Federico Garcia Lorca – this version was a modern day interpretation by Simon Stone. Well written, moving, clever use of flowing dialogue – people talking over each other etc - and humour but so clearly written by a bloke lol. I miss what I imagine was the powerful beauty of Lorca’s original and hope to at least read that one day. This version made a huge impact though and the entire cast excellent.
Billie Piper – as ‘Her’ – is astonishingly powerfully natural and 1000% believable! Even pretending to be happy you get that – you get the realness of her faking. Her Method is Living in Perfect Genuine Emotion 🎭 💖


Yerma – Review by TheRestrictedReviewer © 2017

2 comments:

  1. Bit confused here, Lorca wrote Yerma (which means barren) as a play in three acts. Interesting there was also a movie of Yerma released this year, also reimagined in London and modern, but seemingly totally different from this version (and the third movie of too); all penned by men about an anguish which is primarily that of women. It does sound as though Billie Piper brought her own female self very much into her portrayal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Yerma does indeed mean barren. I neglected to put the basic premise in my review which is just that. as I understand it it was originally a poem or maybe just written poetically. I imagine it has more beauty to it than the modern versions. I'd love to see it as originally intended but sadly my Spanish likely not to be good enough. There seem to be various versions of it in film as well as stage. This was effectively a re-run of the Olivier-award winning stage version of last year. Billie is extraordinary!! As you know I am a huge fan of Method acting and she is mesmerising in her use of it. Feels SO real! And yes very female. Sadly the words coming from her mouth at times grated as they sounded - to me - like what a man would want a woman to say!

    ReplyDelete