Friday 22 November 2013

‘Much Ado About Nothing’ - The Old Vic Theatre - Thursday 21st November 2013

(Rated 1.5/5 ) 

Actually a very appropriate title for this production sadly - much ado to get tickets for a production that was almost the most 'nothing' and 'boring' experience I have ever had. SORRY director Mark Rylance and actors involved, but not that sure why you bothered. I really don't like being so negative but this is my honest experience of it. For I think the first time in my life I left at the interval. The main attraction for me - the gorgeous talented Vanessa Redgrave - was 'indisposed' for the night and so we had her understudy. My friend suggested that maybe she was so embarrassed to be part of it. At least her absence made it easier to leave. Mark Rylance is such an extraordinary actor I expected so much better from him in directing fellow actors. And some members of the cast were even stumbling over their lines. James Earl Jones was fine but lacked the expressiveness I am sure he has. The set was dull too. Nothing comes of nothing indeed! This was just nothing! Vanessa, I would love to have seen you on stage and hope to in a much better production. Now really wishing I'd seen Driving Miss Daisy with you two.

Much Ado About Nothing – Review by TheRestrictedReviewer © 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment