Friday 1 March 2013

Freud, 1962 - Montgomery Clift Season at the BFI South Bank - 28th February 2013


(Rated 4.5/5.)

In introducing this film Trevor Johnston discussed how director John Huston had thought Montgomery (Monty) Clift's performance was disappointing. There had been many difficulties in the lead up to filming and then law suits followed! Only a few years before, Monty had been in a car accident, following which his life was saved by Elizabeth Taylor, who found him with his face mushed to a pulp up against the dashboard of the car! 
This performance as Freud was so far from being pulp! It could be, and would naturally be, that his way of acting had changed, but maybe for the better! I cannot comment as I have seen him in so little. But the intensity of his portrayal of Freud's thought-process as he observes hysterical patients, works with a particular young lady; played superbly by Suzannah York,  tries out his own new methods to help, studies his own psychology, and comes up with his revolutionary and unpopular theory on the Oedipus Complex, was outstandingly brilliant! Monty's eyes speak volumes!
This film, though of course appearing a little dated, is far superior to the more recent A Dangerous Method and much more convincingly acted by all. 
Hard to see at the cinema but a DVD is available of the full-length cut. For anyone interested in the father of psychoanalysis and/or really good psychological drama, I highly recommend it.

Just a little note of annoyance. I found Screen2 at the BFI absolutely freezing! By the end of the film my hips - from which I suffer some of my restrictedness - were in a lot of pain, and that even when wrapped in my winter coat. Why do cinemas and theatres have to have air-con on full-blast?! I think I may get the DVD myself and watch in full comfort :)

Freud – Review by TheRestrictedReviewer © 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment