Tuesday 28 August 2012

Accused: Stephen's Story - BBC1 - Tuesday 28th August 2012

(Rated 3/5 )

Disappointing, strange... confusing...
This episode by Danny Brocklehurst and Jimmy McGovern didn't quite hit the mark for me. Stephen (Robert Sheehan) is losing his m
other to a terminal illness. A nurse, Charlotte (Sheridan Smith) is brought in by Stephen's father Peter (John Bishop) to help relieve his wife's suffering - Stephen thinks she has relieved it too far and killed his mother to have his father for herself. And then...?!
I won't say what, as again that might give the game away, but this time sadly it's kind of boring and un-engaging and sort of obvious in plot, whilst leaving the real motivations and solution to the viewer to decide for themselves. I didn't really care. I felt it was difficult for the actors to get involved in their portrayals because each of them had to leave it unclear as to whether they were 'good' or bad'. Stephen was supposed to be sensitive with possible anxiety hints at other mental health conditions, but seemed more fascinated by Charlotte's tits than anything else, and I didn't feel connected to the other characters either. Sheridan is usually very good but flat in this. And motives behind the crimes, if they were crimes? Hm, well they didn't make any sense.

I would love to be told otherwise if others experienced this differently? Please let me know :)

Accused: Stephen's Story – Review by TheRestrictedReviewer © 2012


Twitter: @RestrictReview

1 comment:

  1. I've realised that this episode of Accused is kind of a part 1 to the next one. That may well explain why we never found out who was really 'guilty' - or perhaps responsible is the better way to put it - of whatever crimes may or may not have been, or are being committed!
    I often find part 1s of 2- or 3- part stories within a TV series somewhat vague and disappointing, and as I said before, I think it's very tough for actors to play something whilst trying to keep their character a mystery to the audience, so you may find me changing my own 'verdict' a little after the next instalment ;).

    ReplyDelete